Sunday, May 25, 2014

Sony Trinitron KV-27FV310


A Link to the Past, muthafackas

When I first started my gaming collection a few months back, I had to hook up my SNES to an HDTV. Needless to say, I had a bad time. It looked plain awful. So I went on the web and did some searching, and found out that the best way to play retro games is through a CRT TV. But not just any CRT will cut it. Apparently, the best CRT's were made by Sony and Mitsubishi, with Sony's "Trinitron" product line being much more common. Thus, I made it my mission to find the perfect Sony Trinitron TV.

The KV-27FS100 and KV-27FV16

What followed was a series of awkward, back-breaking journeys to random people's houses. I had to scour Craigslist, which is basically the place to look for old furniture, and call up strangers to set up risky appointments. I also had to find a friend willing to carry 100 lbs up some stairs with me each time I got a new TV (I have 3 in total). It was brutal, but it was well worth it.

My first TV, and the TV I used for the longest time, was the KV-27FS100. It's one of the most common Trinitron's out there, and it actually gets the job done quite well. The FS100, and the slightly newer FS120, are the models to get if you can't find the rarer (and better) models. I also grabbed the KV-27FV16 on my second journey. This was mostly the result of me not knowing what I was looking for, since the FV16 is a much older model.

My crown jewel, the KV-27FV310

I was going to stick with the FS100, but there was a convergence issue at the bottom of the screen that just wouldn't leave my OCD alone, so I found myself scouring Craigslist once again. That's when I found it; the TV many gamers consider the best CRT ever made: the FV310. The FV310 is one of the last Trinitron models that Sony made before switching over to HD TV's, so naturally it's a combination of the best features. It has more s-video and component ports than the FS100, and it has ridiculously good speakers. The bloody thing has subwoofers!

I grew to love this thing, and consider it the most important part of my gaming collection. A classic gaming console is useless without a proper TV to display its graphics, after all. My Trinitron journey ended here, as I've been using it ever since, so here's to hoping that my TV lasts me a long time. God knows I can't fit any more CRT's in my storage closet.



Share/Bookmark

76 comments:

  1. Awesome bro! I just found the same model! The KV-27FV310 for free on Craigslist! Going to pick it up tomorrow. I sure hope it's in nice shape. I have severe OCD as well, so I understand where you're coming from. It makes life really hard... Anyway, I'm going to play some Ocarina of Time on it! Using the REAL N64 hardware running through S-Video of course! Haha =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, well if you're OCD as well then I'm just gonna tell you right now that you're not gonna have a nice time. Just remember that at this point in time, there's probably not that many Trinitrons that DONT have screen geometry issues. Make sure you test it when you get there, and try to settle for something acceptable.

      But yeah, otherwise congrats! It truly is a great TV for retro games, and you're gonna have a blast playing stuff through s-video

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Based on your blog post I just picked one up yesterday. I had a wega in HS but this one blows it away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, glad I could help! I guess that was my intent; I wanted to make sure fellow gamers knew exactly what they needed to have the best experience. None of Sony's other CRT models are going to compare to this one.

      Delete
  3. damn, I have a sony kv-13FS100 and it's nice, but the 13" is way too amll and the speakers are weak. I have scoured the internet looking for one of these bad boys but i can't find one near me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got one of these on craigslist a year ago, please send me where you read it's regarded as one of the best crts ever please :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a 27FS100 which I like ok, but I have not been able to find a FV310 model! Been looking forever, every day on CL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw someone selling the Sony FV310 27 inch TV with the matching stand for 55$, but their in Connecticut.
    http://newhaven.craigslist.org/ele/4861139578.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another guy in Queens NY selling the Sony FV 310 27 inch TV for 50$
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/ele/4868159546.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found one on craigslist for $40! Waiting to hear back from seller, they say it's in perfect shape. Question: with retro games, do all crts show warping on the sides of the picture. I've been using a JVC I'ART 24 inch, which is pretty decent actually, but the top and sides of picture warp with certain games. And it changes when going from a start menu to gameplay, to pause menu, etc. I guess it has something to do with the colors? Do you have this issue with the trinitron? Is this pretty common?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, warping is pretty common. I think it just happens with age, and all trinitrons that exist are old now so it's almost impossible to find one without geometry issues. I looked a looong time for the trinitron I have now, and I made sure to test it at the person's house before taking it home.

      Basically, just make sure to test it first, and settle for the best you can get. You won't find anything with perfect picture. You can also fix certain geometry issues with the secret menu on trinitrons.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I'll definitely test it out. Thanks for the reply!

      Delete
  9. Actually this TV has a high voltage regulator, that's the unique advantage it has over other CRT's and this prevents the warping on scenes that shift to brighter colors that usually show the picture expanding as it changes. The FV300 is probably the next best tv and it conveniently comes in smaller sizes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to you I made a quick decision when considering the "crown jewel" at a good will. Gave away my last CRT a while back and had regretted it mostly from the loss of light gun use. This beast is much better than what I previously had and I had even brought back a unique Sony from Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. I personally have not tried going to goodwill for this sort of thing, but I've always meant to. I've heard plenty of people saying they found good trinitrons at goodwill, so I'd give it a try.

      Delete
  12. Question- I picked up a 2004 KV-27FS100L and like it a lot. Hooked up my Saturn S-Video with it, SNES, GEN, NES, and Gamecube and all look great. My question is I saw on Craigslist someone is basically giving away ($10) a Sony kv-34xbr800. The semi rare Crt with the 1 HDMI, 2 Comp, and like 2 or 3 S video. Its the widescreen one. Do you guys think its a big upgrade from what I recently picked up and worth getting?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol I have on but I want $50

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have KV-27FV310 and I am located in Charlotte, NC. If anybody wants to buy it, please comment on here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you still got it?

      Delete
    2. Sorry I have not checked this in a while.. And yes I still have it. You can reach me from ktayla@gmail.com

      Delete
  15. So which is better the Wega KV-27FV310 or Trinitron KV-27FV310?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I drove 4 hours one way and managed to pick one of these up for $15. Excellent TV that's definitely better than my previous KV-27FS13. The speakers are awesome, additional inputs convenient, and picture quality outstanding. Cleaner scanlines, better geometry, just awesome overall.

    ReplyDelete
  17. racing game by sega port to sega Saturn with light gun shooter

    ReplyDelete
  18. Daytona USA used to be made by Sega Saturn
    Area 51
    developer Atari Games
    series Area 51
    platforms arcade PlayStation Sega Saturn
    genre light gun shooter
    the house of the dead
    publisher sega
    series the house of the dead
    Platforms arcade Sega Saturn
    genre light gun shooter
    arcade system sega model 2

    ReplyDelete
  19. fighting game coming out in 1994 by sega port to sega Saturn

    ReplyDelete
  20. cyber troopers virtua on
    developer sega am3
    publisher sega
    platforms arcade Sega Saturn
    Genre fighting
    Arcade system sega model 2

    ReplyDelete
  21. Virtua Fighter 2 used to be made by sega port to arcade PlayStation 2 iOS r zone sega Saturn sega Mega drive

    ReplyDelete
  22. virtua Cop 2
    article talk
    developer sega am2
    publisher sega
    Platforms arcade Sega Saturn
    genre light gun shooter
    Arcade system sega model 2

    ReplyDelete
  23. street fighter alpha used to be made by capcom port to arcade PlayStation Sega Saturn
    with street fighter alpha 2
    x- men vs. street fighter used to be made by capcom port to arcade PlayStation Sega Saturn
    king of fighters 95 used to be made by snk port to arcade sega Saturn with king of fighters 96 king of fighters 97

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mortal Kombat 2 used to be made by midway games port to arcade sega Saturn super nes
    with Mortal Kombat
    Mortal Kombat 3
    mortal ultimate kombat
    killer instinct
    Used to be made by midway games port to arcade game boy Super Nintendo Entertainment System

    ReplyDelete
  25. beat em up port to arcade super nes be captain America and the avengers
    article talk
    developer data east
    Platforms arcade super nes
    nes
    game boy
    game gear
    Sega Mega drive
    turtles in time
    developer Konami
    publisher Konami
    series teenage mutant ninja turtles
    Platforms arcade super nes
    genre beat em up

    ReplyDelete
  26. nba jam used to be made by midway games port to arcade super nes game boy game gear sega Gênesis

    ReplyDelete
  27. king of monsters used to be made by snk port to arcade Neo Geo super nes with lethal enforcers

    ReplyDelete
  28. soul calibur 2
    developer namco
    series soulcalibur
    Platforms arcade PlayStation 2 Xbox
    GameCube
    genre fighting
    Arcade system namco 246

    ReplyDelete
  29. PlayStation 1
    PlayStation 2

    ReplyDelete
  30. double dragon used to be made by taito port to arcade nes

    ReplyDelete
  31. soul calibur
    publisher namco
    series soulcalibur
    Platforms arcade dreamcast iOS
    genre fighting
    Arcade system Namco System 11

    ReplyDelete
  32. soul edge
    article talk
    publisher namco
    series soulcalibur
    Platforms arcade PlayStation
    genre fighting
    Arcade system Namco System 11

    ReplyDelete
  33. soul calibur 111
    article talk
    developer namco
    series soulcalibur
    Platforms arcade PlayStation 2
    genre fighting
    Arcade system namco 256

    ReplyDelete
  34. namco
    article talk
    tekken

    ReplyDelete
  35. tekken
    2
    developer namco
    Series tekken
    platforms arcade PlayStation
    genre fighting
    Arcade system namco system 11
    tekken tag tournament
    article talk
    developer namco
    series tekken
    Platforms arcade PlayStation 2
    genre fighting
    Arcade system namco system 12
    with tekken
    article talk
    developer namco
    series tekken
    platforms arcade PlayStation
    genre fighting
    Arcade system namco system 11
    tekken 3
    developer namco
    series tekken
    platforms arcade PlayStation
    genre fighting
    Arcade system namco system 12

    ReplyDelete
  36. with gauntlet used to be made by Atari Games port to arcade nes
    gauntlet legends used to be made by Atari Games port to arcade PlayStation Nintendo 64 dreamcast

    ReplyDelete
  37. gauntlet dark legacy used to be made by midway port to arcade PlayStation 2 Xbox GameCube

    ReplyDelete
  38. gauntlet 2 used to be made by Atari Games port to arcade game boy

    ReplyDelete
  39. hydro thunder used to be made by midway games port to arcade PlayStation Nintendo 64 dreamcast
    with San Francisco rush used to be made by midway games port to arcade PlayStation Nintendo 64
    ridge racer v used to be made by namco port to PlayStation 2
    Arcade
    time crisis 2 used to be made by namco port to arcade PlayStation 2
    Ferrari 355 challenge used to be made by sega port to arcade dreamcast
    with 18 wheeler pro American trucker
    x- men used to be made by Konami port to arcade

    ReplyDelete
  40. street fighter used to be made by capcom port to arcade turbograftx cd
    street fighter 2 used to be made by capcom port to arcade super nes
    street fighter 2 turbo used to be made by capcom port to arcade super nes
    super street fighter 11 used to be made by capcom port to arcade super nes mega drive

    ReplyDelete
  41. art of fighting used to be made by snk port to arcade super nes with fatal fury
    fatal fury 2
    fatal fury special
    fatal fury 3 used to be made by snk port to arcade Neo Geo Neo Geo cd sega Saturn

    ReplyDelete
  42. nfl blitz used to be made by midway games port to arcade PlayStation Nintendo 64 game boy color

    ReplyDelete
  43. cyberbots used to be made by capcom port to arcade PlayStation Sega Saturn

    ReplyDelete
  44. fighting vipers used to be made by sega port to arcade Sega Saturn with marvel super heroes vs. street fighter
    dead or alive
    final fight revenge
    fighting vipers 2 used to be made by sega port to arcade dreamcast
    the house of the dead 2 used to be made by sega port to arcade dreamcast
    with marvel vs. capcom
    street fighter alpha 3
    street fighter 3 third strike fight for the future
    super street fighter 2 turbo

    ReplyDelete
  45. dead or alive 2 used to be made by tecmo port to arcade dreamcast
    with zombie revenge
    dynamite cop
    outrigger
    Virtua Fighter 3
    power stone

    ReplyDelete
  46. battle arena toshinden 2 used to be made by capcom port to arcade PlayStation
    with Star gladiator
    plasma sword used to be made by capcom port to arcade dreamcast
    with tech romancer
    Virtua Fighter used to be made by sega port to arcade Sega Saturn with Virtua Fighter remix
    Virtua Fighter kids

    ReplyDelete
  47. Mortal Kombat 4 used to be made by midway games port to arcade PlayStation Nintendo 64
    game boy color
    fighter’s history used to be made by data east port to arcade super nes
    bloody roar 1 and 2 used to be made by razing port to arcade PlayStation
    bloody roar 3 used to be made by razing port to arcade PlayStation 2
    with arcana heart
    blazblue calamity trigger used to be made by arc System Works used to port to arcade PlayStation 3

    ReplyDelete
  48. capcom vs. snk 1 and 2 used to be made by capcom port to arcade dreamcast

    ReplyDelete
  49. Samurai Shodown 2 used to be made by snk port to arcade sega Saturn with last Bronx used to be made by sega port to arcade Sega Saturn
    with samurai showdown iv
    samurai showdown and samurai showdown 3 used to be made by snk port to arcade PlayStation super nes

    ReplyDelete
  50. golden axe used to be made by sega port to arcade Bandai wonderswan
    master system
    golden axe revenge of death adder used to be made by sega port to arcade in 1992
    with virtua racing port to arcade sega 32x sega saturn
    sega Gênesis
    Virtua Fighter coming out in 1993 by sega port to arcade Sega Saturn 32x
    r zone

    ReplyDelete
  51. out run used to be made by sega port to arcade master system game gear

    ReplyDelete
  52. pengo used to be made by sega port to arcade game gear
    bad dudes used to be made by data east port to arcade nes
    terminator 2nd judgment day used to be made by midway manufacturing port to arcade game boy
    raiden used to be made by seibu kaihatsu port to arcade turbograftx 16
    smash tv used to be made by William electronics port to arcade nes
    rampart used to be made by Atari Games port to arcade super nes
    carnevil used to be made by midway games port to arcade

    ReplyDelete
  53. chopfliter used to be made by sega port to arcade master system

    ReplyDelete
  54. darkstalkers used to be made by capcom port to arcade PlayStation
    Dino Rex used to be by taito port to arcade
    with blanida
    avengers in galactic storm
    battle k road
    dark edge
    daraku tenshi fallen angels
    angel eyes used to be made by tecmo
    port to arcade PlayStation
    fatal fury wild ambition used to be made by snk port to arcade PlayStation

    ReplyDelete
  55. double dragon 95
    developer snk
    publisher technos
    series double dragon
    Platforms arcade PlayStation Neo Geo Neo Geo cd
    genre fighting
    Arcade system Neo Geo mvs
    dragon ball z
    dragon ball z 2 super battle
    dragon ball z vrs

    ReplyDelete
  56. dragoon might
    developer Konami
    publisher Konami
    Platforms arcade
    genre fighting
    Arcade system Konami gx

    ReplyDelete
  57. art of fighting 2 used to be made by snk port to arcade Neo Geo Neo Geo cd super pc Engine rom
    super famicom
    art of fighting 3 used to be made by snk port to arcade Neo Geo Neo Geo cd

    ReplyDelete
  58. king of fighters 94 and 98 used to be made by snk port to arcade Neo Geo
    King of fighters 99
    developer snk
    series king of fighters
    Platforms arcade dreamcast
    genre fighting
    Arcade system Neo Geo mvs
    king of fighters 2000
    used to be made by snk port to arcade dreamcast
    king of fighters neowave
    developer Sammy
    publisher sega
    series king of fighters
    platforms arcade PlayStation 2
    genre fighting
    Arcade system atomiswave
    guilty gear x iskua xx midnight carnival accent core used to be made by Sammy corporation port to arcade dreamcast PlayStation 2 game boy advance

    ReplyDelete
  59. die hard
    publisher sega
    platforms arcade Sega Saturn
    genre beat em up
    arcade system sega titan video
    with Batman forever
    developer acclaim
    series Batman
    Platforms arcade PlayStation Sega Saturn
    genre beat em up
    arcade system sega titan video

    ReplyDelete
  60. Baku Baku animal used to be made by sega port to arcade Sega Saturn
    super puzzle fighter 2 turbo used to be made by capcom port to arcade Sega Saturn

    ReplyDelete
  61. angel eyes used to be made by tecmo port to arcade PlayStation with fighter’s impact
    fatal fury wild ambition
    arcana heart used to be made by examu port to arcade PlayStation 2

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin